New Work & Family Rights Effective January 1, 2018
- Provides 12 weeks of job-protected bonding leave to workers in California at companies with 20-49 employees within 75 miles of where they work. To be eligible a worker must have been on the job 12 months and worked 1250 hours in the past year.
- Existing law covers workers at companies with 50+ employees.
- The benefit amounts under State Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave will increase from 55% to 60% or 70% depending on income, with the lowest wage workers receiving 70% of their normal wages.
- Claimants must apply on or after Jan. 1, 2018 to receive the higher rate.
- San Francisco’s law requiring employers to supplement 6 weeks of Paid Family Leave benefits such that parents earn 100% of their salary during bonding leave applies to workers in SF at companies with at least 20 employees worldwide.
- The law has been phased in over the last year and until Jan. 1, 2018 covers workers at SF companies with at least 35 employees worldwide.
- All employers in SF must provide nursing parents reasonable break time and a private space that is safe, sanitary, has a place to sit and surface to place a pump, an electrical outlet, and access to refrigeration and a sink in close proximity.
- Existing CA and federal law require time and space to pump milk, but are unclear as to what the space must contain.