Workers’ Rights Clinic: Answers to Common Questions

If the information below and the video about the clinic at this link do not answer your questions, please call our main line (415-864-8848, or toll-free at 866-864-8208) for more information about the operation of the Workers’ Rights Clinic.

Will I speak directly with an attorney at the clinic?

Generally not. The Workers’ Rights Clinic does not have enough attorneys to speak with every client. However, there are normally enough trained law counselors, supervised by attorneys, to help each client at the clinic. Having trained law students available allows us to serve as many clients as possible.

Who will I speak with at my appointment?

The clinic’s counselors are law students, paralegals, legal assistants, and staff trained in various areas of employment law, and supervised by practicing attorneys who specialize in employment law.

Will the clinic “take” my case?

Normally not. The clinic is set up to provide basic legal information and referrals for clients, but not to take on individual cases. Occasionally, we are able to find help for clients who have upcoming unemployment insurance hearings or wage claims conferences/hearings, but that is not the norm.

If I have already filed a case in court, can you help me with that case?

No. If your case is already filed in court, you are normally beyond the clinic’s range of services. We encourage you to try to find a lawyer to assist you with your case. For help finding a lawyer, we suggest you contact your local county bar association.

Will my meeting at the clinic be confidential?

Yes. Rest assured that all information you provide to us remains strictly confidential. Neither the law counselor or supervising attorney can reveal your confidential information to anyone at any time without your permission.

Can I get help at Legal Aid at Work’s office on Montgomery Street in San Francisco?

You are welcome to visit our office provided you have an appointment already set up. Otherwise, there won’t be anyone available to talk to you about your case.

If I work nights, can I come in or receive a call during the day?

If you can’t attend, or call in to, a clinic during the clinic’s normal evening hours, please contact our offices (415-864-8848) and explain your situation to the receptionist. We usually do not have counselors in our office during the day, but in some situations we can find someone who can see you or call you during regular business hours as long as you arrange for it ahead of time.

Should I bring anything with me if I am attending the clinic in person?

Please bring any paperwork that will help your counselor better understand your case, such as letters from your employer, hearing notices, etc.

If I’m an undocumented immigrant, can I still get information from the clinic regarding my legal rights?

Of course. Clinic counselors are able to speak with clients regardless of their documented status.

Can I speak with a clinic counselor in a language other than English or Spanish?

Yes. We normally have appointments available for clients who speak Spanish, Mandarin , or Cantonese. For clients who speak other languages, we may be able to find an interpreter if we have enough notice ahead of time. You are also encouraged to bring your own interpreter since that might help get you an appointment time even sooner.

Do you help workers who have questions regarding workers’ compensation?

It depends. If you were recently injured and need to learn about rights and how to proceed, we can help you. If you have a case that has been going on for some time and you have already hired a lawyer to help you, the clinic might be of only limited help to you since we provide only basic information and referrals.

Can you help me to get a permit to work from ICE?

No, that is an immigration issue. Please call our office at 415-864-8848 ext. 263 to request a list of community-based organizations that may be able to assist you with immigration related questions.

What if I already have a lawyer or other legal representation?

We’re always happy to serve as a “second opinion” if you believe that your own lawyer or representative might not be representing you properly.